October 2, 2022

Fior Markets News Blog

Complete News World

Iran crackdown after Mahsa Amini’s death sparks protests

Iran crackdown after Mahsa Amini's death sparks protests

Security forces cracked down on protesting protesters across Iran over the death of a young woman in custody of the so-called morality police, killing five people.

The The death of Mahsa AminiShe is 22 years old, she is a Kurdish woman from western IranAnd the A visit to the capital last week sparked outrage at the government’s increasingly strict enforcement of a highly conservative dress code for women, which has been mandatory since Iran’s 1979 revolution.

The case has drawn global attention and condemnation from the United States, the European Union and the United Nations.

State media said Amini was arrested while leaving a metro station, had a heart attack and fell into a coma while in custody. Her family insisted that she had no previous health problems. Activists confirmed that she may have been beaten by the police. Authorities released CCTV footage has been edited Amini is at the police station, but her family has demanded the release of the unaltered footage.

The death of an Iranian woman after being detained by the “moral police”, which sparked a wave of anger

The growing international scrutiny of Iran’s human rights record comes ahead of a speech by its conservative president, Ebrahim Raisi, to the United Nations General Assembly on Wednesday.

It was Tuesday Fourth day of unrest across Iran, with protests in many places, including the capital, Tehran. Two people were killed when security forces fired on protesters in the Kurdish town of Saqqaz – Amini’s hometown – while two others were killed in Divandra town and a fifth was killed in Dehgolan, it was reported. Hingaobased in Norway rights sergeant. The Washington Post could not independently verify the allegations.

See also  King Charles visits Wales, mile-long queue to see the Queen lying in state paused

In Tehran, images from the site of a protest showed protesters huddled around a burning motorcycle. Videos posted on social media show injured protesters after clashes with authorities. Internet access was bound in parts from the country.

Other pictures showed protesters burning headscarves and chanting slogans attacking Iran’s supreme leader. Some have used Amini’s Kurdish first name, Gina, in reference to the discrimination Kurds face in Iran.

Iran has not confirmed any deaths during the protests. The semi-official Fars News Agency This has been reported Security forces dispersed the demonstrators In a number of cities, the police arrested the leaders of some protests.

In an apparent effort to calm the public, the regional aid of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, made a two-hour visit to the Amini family’s home on Monday and promised that “all institutions will take measures to defend the rights that have been violated.” The semi-official Tasnim news agency reported.

share the power video editing From a CCTV camera, Amini appeared in good health as she entered the police station, and later showed her falling to the ground and being taken to an ambulance. But her family He demanded the release of the entire footage, calling the clips insufficient evidence.

Greater Tehran Region Police Chief Reporters that Amini was wearing a headscarf that violated rules requiring women to wear a headscarf and to wear conservative clothing. He said that she did not resist detention but rather made jokes in the police van.

Amini’s father, Amjad, said they had been in Tehran a week before the incident without problems.

See also  Secret Service agent returned to US from Israel after alleged 'physical confrontation'

“There was no problem with my daughter’s motto,” he said The state-backed Tasnim news agency said Tuesdayreferring to the long coat worn by women in Iran as part of the required dress, “and she was wearing the veil.”

Senior morals police officer, Colonel Ahmad Mirzai, has been suspended from duty after Amini’s death, reports Iran International, London-based news channel. Officials denied the allegations, The Guardian newspaper reported. The Ministry of Interior had previously ordered an investigation into Amini’s death at the request of a principal.

Iran doubles down on abortion and contraceptive restrictions

city ​​police Called Anthony Blinken The Iranian government should “end its systematic persecution of women and allow peaceful protest,” in a tweet Tuesday.

the acting High Commissioner for Human Rights On Tuesday, the United Nations, Nada Al-Nashif, issued a statement expressing concern over her death and calling for an independent investigation.

“Mahassa Amini’s tragic death and allegations of torture and ill-treatment must be subject to prompt, impartial and effective investigation by an independent competent authority, which, in particular, will ensure that her family has access to justice and the truth,” she said.

“The authorities must stop targeting, harassing, and detaining women who do not adhere to the rules of hijab,” Nashef added, calling for the abolition of mandatory hijab regulations.

in that special statement On Monday, the European Union said what happened to Amini was “unacceptable and the perpetrators of this murder must be held accountable”.

Before leaving for New York, Raisi told reporters at Tehran airport that he had no plans to meet President Biden on the sidelines of the event. News agency mentioned. Indirect negotiations between Washington and Tehran to revive the 2015 nuclear agreement It seems that about to stalled.

See also  The Russian Defense Ministry said that the Russian army is conducting a test launch of the Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile

Raisi, a hardline cleric who took office last year, called for strict enforcement of the dress code. Last month, a video emerged showing a woman detained by Iran’s increasingly assertive guidance patrols is thrown from a speeding car.

The government crackdown sparked a protest movement over the summer by Iranian women, who photographed themselves without headscarves and posted the photos on social media.

Karim Fahim in Istanbul and Paul Shim in London contributed to this report.